Alyssa works with clients presenting with diverse forms of distress and challenges, such as post traumatic stress; difficulties arising in childhood trauma; a variety of depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorders; burnout; grief; chronic anger; low self-esteem; chronically unmet emotional needs (e.g., safety, trust, love, validation), psychosis, internal conflict, and interpersonal difficulties. She is particularly interested in working with people with relational difficulties and goals, such as difficulties forming secure attachment bonds. She supports LGBTQA+, ethical nonmonogamy, sex positivity, and spiritual frameworks. She is also part of Mindspace’s psychedelic integration therapy program. Alyssa’s approach is culturally sensitive and person-centered.
Alyssa’s therapeutic approach is strongly grounded in mindfulness, experiencing the body, and acceptance. Her work is founded in empowering individuals with the understanding and skills to acknowledge and to let go of painful or limiting patterns and programs learned from trauma, conditioning, and socialization and to move into thriving, connection, and presence. She integrates valuable therapeutic theory and technology from several therapies including mindfulness-based approaches, internal family systems (IFS), cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), as well as gestalt, emotion-focused, compassion-focused, psychodynamic, Jungian psychology, and transpersonal therapies. She prefers working somatically and works best with clients willing and wanting to be guided in connecting with parts of their self and their suppressed experiences in new, empowering ways, as well as in learning to accept, honour, and care for themselves and their needs.
Clients may choose to be facilitated through processes including and not limited to:
- Connecting with your body, self-integration, acceptance of rejected inner parts, and establishing internal harmony, trust, peace, and love
- Releasing suppressed or stuck emotions
- Learning to deliberately select and embody neurological and feeling states
- Learning to self-sooth and meet chronically unmet emotional needs
- Bringing conscious awareness into the physical body to identify and align with your felt experience, inner self, inner integrity, inner wisdom, core values, meaning, purpose, wants, in order to live a life that feels like thriving
- Acknowledging, working through, and shifting out of old patterns and pain learned from trauma, conditioning, and socialization and learning to live mindfully, deliberately and with empowerment.
- Clarifying relationships and interpersonal dynamics, finding balance with conflicting needs, learning to identify and honour emotional needs.
Alyssa is a therapist at Mindspace who works primarily with individual adults in English. She is an advanced Doctoral student at Concordia University, Montreal, expected to be registered as a clinical psychologist in 2020.