This group therapy is based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, or ACT, a mindfulness-based cognitive-behaviour type of therapy that has been scientifically shown to be effective to treat depression and anxiety. This group will focus on learning ACT skills with the intention of managing anxiety and stress. ACT is an active treatment that will help you be less affected by difficult thoughts and feelings, clarify what brings meaning and purpose to your life, and commit to taking steps to move in that direction on an ongoing basis.
In this course participants will meet for eight consecutive weeks, the active part of the treatment, and learn ACT skills through experiential exercises, small and large group discussions, and home practice.
During each 2 hour session you will learn to:
- Notice what is keeping you stuck in life
- Cultivate mindfulness
- Gain perspective on negative and unhelpful thoughts
- Open up to painful emotions with self-compassion
- Identify values and develop goals that will contribute meaning and purpose in one’s life
- Take concrete steps toward a life that is consistent with your chosen values and goals